You and your family are taking that much needed vacation away from the madness that is life and routine. Before you leave that door and head out on the road or to the airport, there are a number of home security tasks that you need to remember like unplugging appliances, informing your neighbor that you will not be around, your favorite beach or holiday wear and, most importantly, the security of your home while you are away. It is much easier to be burgled when you are gone because the intruders have nothing but time to cause mayhem. There are some simple tips you can follow to keep your home safe while away.
- The first thing you must do is to stop your mail or any packages meant to come to your home while you are away. If you are that family that receives a large amount of postal mail, it means that when you are away, the pile of mail will rise until you return. Many thieves or burglars will look for a home that has not activity especially a large pile of uncollected mail. If possible, ask a neighbor to pick anything that comes for you for safekeeping.
- Ensure that all locks and entrances are locked: In the excitement of going on vacation, we sometimes tend to forget to check all windows, doors and entrances one last time. It is important to check each and every single point of entry to your home and making sure everything is locked. This is to ensure that intruders do not get a free entry through the forgotten window in the bathroom or basement.
- Get your alarm system and locks checked and active: Get the alarm system company to come by and do a check of your alarm system. This is to ensure that even when you are away, all codes, alarms and locks are functional in case of a break-in. It is said that a home with no security system has a higher likelihood of being broken into. In addition, you can think of getting a motion sensor light installed. This is a good way of not only keeping burglars away but alerting even neighbors of anyone within range of the sensors.
- Make your neighbor your ally: Speak to your neighbors and inform them that you will not be around. They will be able to keep an eye on things for you, feed your pets, pick your mail and overall keep your home safe for you until you return. Give one of your neighbors the alarm system code in case it is accidentally triggered, offer them a spare key and a number they can reach you on in case of any emergency.
- Keep your valuables and firearms (if any) locked away: Speak to your local locksmith or alarm company about getting a safe installed in your home. You can use this to store jewelry, valuables and even firearms. Think of a safe as one more barrier between the burglar and all your valuables. Follow the relevant laws and regulations on safe storage of firearms if you own any to avoid it being used to cause more harm or from being stolen.
A vacation is peace of mind. The last thing that you should be worrying about is if your home is secure or not. Follow these home security tips and you are sure to feel more comfortable when you go on vacation. Did you like this blog about securing your home before leaving on vacation? Super! Then read all of our other blog posts now!